Tuesday, November 09, 2010

More bus stop top art

Following on from the under the radar success of the space potatoes and the wooden clacker things, the guerrilla artists of Hackney are at it again. Last night I noticed a small clay figure on top of the bus stop at the top of Graham Road. From my vantage point on the top deck of the 277, through the rain and condensation smeared windows, I could just about make him out. He seems to be sitting on an armchair as if watching an invisible TV.
It reminded me that I'd spotted another miniature figure on Kingsland Road a few weeks back. He also seemed to be made from unpainted clay, like his chair bound brother. However he was standing atop a wall with a life belt round his midriff. Poignant it was!
Unfortunately lifebelt man he has now gone as I tried to find him later to get a picture. But I wonder where the next clay man or woman might crop up and what they'll be doing.

3 comments:

The Magpie's Nest said...

I remember seeing the space potatoes. I was very confused.

Hackney_bloke said...

I still don't understand their significance other than to confuse, but I quite like the idea of freeing art from the confines of the gallery. It intrigues and delights when you encounter something like this, especially knowing that it could be all too transitory.
Oh, and it's not graffiti, which is generally a blight in my opinion.
I must get a picture of the little fella before somebody swipes him - another potential downside of 'left behind art', or whatever you my call it.

Anonymous said...

Just sitting on the bus now, saw these "space potatos". Me and my flat mate were very confused and dicided to look it up. Very good idea to get people talking about art work not just in the conventual gallary.