Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Today we drink!

Reaches the parts other gassy liquids can't
Or at least we could if there was a reason beyond the sheer love of alcohol. For today is the first of February and the end of January's self imposed no drinking rule.

And yet it seems such an anti-climax. Probably because it is a doddle for me these days. I've been doing no-drink Januaries for years and it definitely gets easier with practice. Last year I went for a couple of months without drinking in (enforced) solidarity with my wife after the birth of our second son. It was only supposed to be two weeks, but I felt a little aggrieved about being reminded of the promise I'd made to not booze in those tough early days. I grumpily took this to be a slur, so to speak, on by fathering abilities. Surely I could switch seamlessly from glass in hand to wipes and nappy. So, to demonstrate to my wife what an uncaring woman she was, and how lucky she was to have such a self-sacrificing other half, I stayed dry for eight weeks or so.

That showed her!

Actually, it was probably a good thing that I did lay off the ale, as HackneyBaby was not, and indeed, is not, a good sleeper. There is nothing that erases the pleasure had from a few convivial evening drinks quite like a screaming baby. Early morning soothing sessions are better faced with a clear head. Firstly, you're less likely to drop the child. Secondly, any relaxing effect those drinks will have had, are now gone.

So, here I am again, ready to reenter the world of drink. In the past, this has been a day I have been counting down to, whereas this year it's a bit of a 'so what' moment. As I say, it's too easy these days. I feel like an old lag keeping his head down and doing his time quietly.

So, in the spirit of disruption and personal challenge, I'm setting out to do something that will be infinitely tougher for me.

February is designated sugar free. Apart from fruit and unavoidable added sugar, I'm going to try and avoid the sweet stuff. No chocolate, no biscuits, no cakes, no soft drinks, no fruit juice, no jam on toast. I have a massive sweet tooth and am starting to worry that my predilection will be passed on to my boys. It's hard to deny HackneyChild a chocolate digestive when I'm happily ploughing through half a packet with a cup of tea. If they are not around - or perhaps replaced with something more child friendly for the odd treat - then that has to be a good thing.

It's a good job there are only 28 days though as I'm rattling already. And I might need a few drinks to complete it.

5 comments:

David said...

I managed to avoid chocolate, crisps, chips, biscuits and cake for the first three weeks of January - then decided that was long enough. I think giving up alcohol would have been easier as (thankfully) I don't crave it like I crave a piece of chocolate!

Good luck with February. That chocolate digestive on March 1 is going to be special...

Tim Atkinson said...

I like the idea of an alcohol-free January... must do that next year. Now, where's that corkscrew?

Rob Clayton, photographer said...

Sugar free and all those big energy sapping DIY projects ahead. Did you never study biology ? Go on... reward yourself to a bit of sugar in your builder's tea ! Beer soon ?

Hackney_bloke said...

Respect to you David. Three weeks seems an awfully long time at the moment. It's freezing today and the prospect of a quick sugar fix is very enticing. Our eldest has just eaten the last chocolate digestive, but there are still a couple of squares of chocolate mocking me in the biscuit tin.

Simon Clarke said...

I am hopelessly addicted to sugar – I gave up meat with no problem whatsoever more than 25 years ago and have never missed it, and I gave up alcohol 12 years ago (likewise).

But sugar is my dark mistress and I simply can't stay the course. I did well to largely give up on white processed food and sugar in the early 2000s for about a year, but stress and circumstance turned me back to it.

The good news is that when I did pack it in, I felt much, much better – more energy, fitter, healthier and better sleep. The other good news is that the first five days seems to be the worst.