Friday, November 18, 2022

A week later

I had my appointment at the Heart Centre last Thursday and was pretty anxious. Cut to the chase - it actually turned out pretty well.

The big question was how my arteries looked. One was pretty definitely furred up but after testing another two with a pressure wire (no, me neither) the cardiologist decided they weren't too bad. The good news was that meant I wouldn't need a bypass and could proceed straight to stenting.

I was also anxious about this. The procedure happens while you're awake and the mere thought of somebody poking away in there was quite triggering.

As it happened, it was relatively untraumatic. I didn't feel much at all, which for a physical coward like me was a great relief. It was completed in just over an hour.

The result was almost instantaneously noticeable. I felt less tight chested and close to euphoric in some ways. It was such a weight off my shoulders that I was getting a bit ahead of myself.

This week has been a bit of a leveller. I have felt some intermittent pressure/pain/discomfort/anxiety. I'm telling myself that's perhaps to be expected - it has only been a week and I have had a fairly major intervention. Baby steps.

I've been told that within four weeks I can get back to normal - whatever that means. 

I already feel a lot better than I did in the months leading up to the procedure, but still not best. However, I'll take this so far. 

I've waited for a while to feel better. I can wait a bit longer.

No comments: