Monday, October 07, 2024

24 hours in A&E

Well, not quite but currently about 10 hours and counting.

Went out for a bike ride with my son today. I haven't been very active lately due to a combination of COVID and an almost back to back series of lower limb ailments since summer.

I'm constantly trying to restart some degree of fitness kick in the hope that it will help with my various issues.

My son had asked about cycling this week so it seemed like a good opportunity to combine a healthy ride with dad-son time.

It wasn't an especially energetic ride but there were a few hills and I was struggling on these to the extent that I decided to shorten the ride and just get home. 

With a couple of miles to go I was feeling sufficiently puffed and with some tightness of the chest to stop and have a puff of the GTN spray I carry everywhere.

However, rather than helping it seemed to make me very lightheaded and my vision became almost psychedelic. My son said I was yawning a lot and wasn't responding to him. He thinks I blacked out at one point.

We were in a park and luckily there was a man there who helped. My son, who is 16, was immense, calling the emergency services, providing them with details of what happened and where we were, and looping in my wife who was elsewhere.

The guy was great. He was an Afghani gentleman who had worked for the government in Kabul but couldn't stay when it all kicked off. He literally gave me the shirt off his back as I was shivering so much, as well as providing a blanket and trackie bottoms. He offered for us to come to his home but I was pretty shaky and my son didn't want to walk too far. I'm so grateful to both of them.

I'm also very grateful to my sister in law who raced over from her house to pick us up and take us to the hospital. The ambulance looked like being a long time coming. 

I thought that this was a heart attack. I'm still waiting for results but feeling a lot better now, to the extent of being antsy about being here. I know I shouldn't be. It's busy, as it always is but the staff are calm and caring. I feel I'm in good hands but I would like to get home before that 24 figure becomes reality.

No comments: