Monday, November 08, 2004

Ex marks the spot

What a wierd phone call. I was trying to get hold of a friend at his home, but his mother told me he wasn't around. Don't worry, I'll call him on his mobile, says I. At this point she went a bit quiet and then said: "Oh I suppose I'd better tell you. He's with Suzanne."
She's my ex of about eight years standing, who I last saw and spoke to about seven years ago. We have very few mutual friends left but she recently moved to my old home town. She's bumped into at least one of my friends since then, so it shouldn't be that surpising that this happens. But it was a bit of a shock to me. Especially so as they are having coffee right now, probably talking about me. This isn't my ego, it's just that in my experience when two people have a common acquaintance but don't know each other that well, then they will find common ground talking about that acquaintance. My ears are burning.
I hope he's giving me a good press. "Oh since he left you, he's done so well. He's popular, highly paid and a respected man about town. His new girlfriend is a stunner and he's made a killing on the property market."
That's right mate. Keep egging that pudding.
It does pose the question about what I should do from here. Because the truth is that when we split it wasn't very well handled on either of our parts. I hate the word, but I've always yearned for some sort of 'closure'. When she cuckolded me (yes, it was all her fault!) I immediately sought to draw a line under things and vowed never to speak to her again. And that's pretty much what happened apart from one time when I bumped into her at a Tube station (that was the seven years ago).
Come on mate. How long does it take to have a 'king cup of coffee? Phone me up with the goss!

No comments: