Saturday, November 20, 2004

A fortnight of laziness

I have managed to avoid doing any meaningful work for the past two weeks. This week has been especially easy as the girlfriend has had the week off and it seemed like a great opportunity to spend some quality time together.
So we've been for a walk - http://www.longdistancewalks.com/london_loop/day01.html
Had a great curry in Brick Lane
Went to see a film, The Grudge, which for a 15 certificate scared the crap out of me
Been to a few trendy bars
She gave me a haircut
And we've had a kiss and cuddle.
All of which sounds fairly inconsequential, but hey, so what! It made us happy, and that's reason enough. A call from a friend on Monday brought that home to me. His dad had just died, and although it wasn't entirely unexpected, it was a shock nonetheless, especially as I had only just been speaking about him to my mum.
Sometimes I think we get too hung up on work, careers and status to see it all for what it really is - a way of passing time before we shuffle off this mortal coil. Maybe it does make some people happy to be slightly further up the greasy pole than their compatriots. At one point I thought that way myself, before I started working from home.
At that time it seemed like a worrying development. I lost my job and didn't know how I was going to make ends meet. Now it seems like the best thing that could have happened to me at that time. I didn't realise how stressed I was by the job I was doing and the boss I had at tht time. He was a nightmare who delighted in shifting the goalposts. I spent my life second guessing him and dreading the Sunday night 'fear' of what was waiting on Monday.
That's no life. But it all changed when I started working from home. I earned less, but was better off in many ways. The quality of life was the obvious one, but financially I was pretty sorted as well. I learned to live more frugally, but it didn't seem like it. I don't feel like I've missed out on much, which makes me wonder how much dough I must have wasted.
Mostly though I feel back in control of my life. If I don't want to work, I don't. If I feel like arsing about online, I do. Or I go to the gym, make some bread, do some housework, play guitar, or whatever. It's up to me, and I deal with the consequences.

No comments: